Center for Defense Concepts and Technology
Hudson Institute’s Center for Defense Concepts and Technology examines the evolving field of military competition and the implications of emerging technologies for defense strategy, military operations, capability development, and acquisition. The center focuses on a comprehensive view: connecting strategy with new operational concepts; assessing the weapons and systems needed to implement new concepts; and evaluating the necessary commitment of resources.
The center’s scholars are focusing their initial research on the growing centrality of information and decision-making in military operations. U.S. and allied militaries face great power and regional adversaries with improving capabilities and geographic advantages. Deterring and defeating aggression by these competitors will require military concepts that emphasize maneuver warfare and decision superiority rather than the attrition-focused approaches of the post-Cold War era. Tools and processes for harnessing and exploiting information will likely form the foundation of 21st century military superiority in the same way that chemistry, physics, and material sciences built the capabilities needed during 20th century conflicts.
The center will be chaired by Hudson Senior Fellow Bryan Clark and supported by Hudson Fellow Timothy A. Walton. The center’s board of advisors includes:
- Christian Brose, chief strategy officer of Anduril Industries
- Dr. William Conley, chief technology officer of Mercury Systems
- Jaymie Durnan, deputy assistant to the Director for Strategic Initiatives at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Lincoln Laboratory
- Dr. John Evans, chief executive officer of Carillon Technologies
- Maj. Gen. Michael Fantini (USAF, Ret.) former acting deputy chief of staff for Strategy, Integration and Requirements (A5), and director of the Air Force Warfighting Integration Capability (AFWIC)
- Adm. Jonathan Greenert (USN, Ret.), former chief of naval operations
- Lt. Gen. Tony Ierardi (USA, Ret.) lead for strategic partner engagement at Rebellion Defense and former director of Force Structure, Resources, and Assessment (J8), U.S. Joint Staff
Policy Center News
Dan Patt and William Greenwalt’s new report mentioned in Defense News
Bryan Clark mentioned in Breaking Defense about hypersonic weapons advantages
Bryan Clark mentioned in Breaking Defense about hypersonic weapons
Bryan Clark was quoted in RealClear Investigations about tech companies and the Pentagon.
Bryan Clark was quoted in Defense News about sonobuoys and anti-submarine warfare.
Bryan Clark was quoted in Breaking Defense about the U.S. Navy’s fleet strategy and budget.
Bryan Clark was quoted in Forbes about U.S. defense strategy and challenges in 2021.
Bryan Clark was quoted in Breaking Defense about U.S. Navy fleet building.
A Hudson Institute report was mentioned in USNI News about the future of U.S. Naval strategy.
Bryan Clark was quoted in the Navy Times about the future of U.S. Navy force structure.
A recent Hudson Institute report about U.S. Navy Force Architecture was mentioned in Breaking Defense
Bryan Clark was quoted in Navy Times about U.S. aircraft carrier deployment.
A recent Hudson Institute report was mentioned in Defense News
Bryan Clark was mentioned in The Economist about U.S. Naval strategy.
Bryan Clark was quoted in Defense News about the U.S. Navy’s decision to deploy carriers to the Middle East.
Bryan Clark was quoted in Jane’s about the advantages of a Naval strategy shift towards unmanned systems.
Bryan Clark was quoted in Breaking Defense about Esper’s call for increases Navy shipbuilding.
A recent Hudson Institute report about Anti-Submarine Warfare was mentioned in Breaking Defense
Hudson Institute’s new Center for Defense Concepts and Technology was mentioned in Politico Morning Defense
Bryan Clark was quoted in Defense News about the impact the recent fire aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard will have on U.S. Naval strategy.
Bryan Clark was quoted in Breaking Defense about lawmakers’ frustration about Navy funding and cost efficiency.
Bryan Clark was mentioned in USNI News about the future of the U.S. Navy.
Senior Fellow & Director, Center for Defense Concepts and Technology
Timothy A. Walton
Fellow, Center for Defense Concepts and Technology
Adjunct Fellow, Center for Defense Concepts and Technology
In the MediaView all
Bryan Clark discusses the Pentagon’s need to rethink its war planning scenarios and adopt more flexible budgeting.
Defense and Aerospace Report
Bryan Clark discusses Net Assessment in DoD and on-going work on electromagnetic spectrum technology competition between the US, China, and Russia.
Defense and Aerospace Report
Tim Walton discusses the Jones Act and its impact on national security.
- Center for the Economics of the Internet
- Coronavirus Insights and Analysis
- South Asia Program
- Center for Defense Concepts and Technology
- Current Trends in Islamist Ideology
- Center for Religious Freedom
- Food Policy Center
- Center for American Seapower
- Center for Substance Abuse Policy Research
- Kleptocracy Initiative
- Hudson Institute Political Studies
- First Step Act Independent Review Committee
- Japan Chair
- Forum for Intellectual Property