A strong majority of Israelis view the U.S. as Israel's truest friend, according to a recent poll of 500 adults commissioned by Hudson Institute. The poll also finds that Israelis particularly like American culture and values, including values Israelis believe they share with America, such as democracy, a free market economy, and faith in God.
Israel's overwhelmingly favorable attitude toward the U.S. stands in stark contrast to attitudes toward the U.S. elsewhere. A recent Eurobarometer poll (www.emjournal.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/aaaanov006.html) which interviewed 500 people in each of the 15 EU states found that some 52% of Europeans believe that the U.S. (along with Iran and North Korea) poses a threat to world peace. Unlike Europeans, the majority of adult Israelis, according to the Hudson poll, not only support the U.S., but are also highly appreciative of U.S. efforts to help Israel.
Specifically, Hudson Institute's polling data found:
- 91% of Israelis view the U.S. either very favorably or mostly favorably.
- 69% view the U.S. as a true friend that can be trusted to help Israel even in difficult times.
- 77% view American culture (movies, entertainment parks such as Disneyland), American cars (such as Chevrolet) and fashion (such as Levi's) as their favorite American export to the world.
- 25% of Israelis believe that the most important value which characterizes the American people as well as the people of Israel is democracy. 21% believe it is doing the right thing. 20% believe that it is a free market and 18% think that it is faith in God.
- 66% appreciate America's help to Israel and feel that Israel should be grateful for it.
"The poll confirms what we have known for a long time," says Dr. Meyrav Wurmser, director of the Center for Middle East Policy at Hudson Institute. "Israel remains one of America's closest allies even when other traditional American allies in the Middle East and in Europe increasingly resent America. Our data shows Israel's profound appreciation of American support for Israel and also the common values and beliefs that link the two nations."
For more information on the poll, click here.